Paayum Puli Movie Review
– An Average Outing by Suseenthiran and Vishal
Director Suseenthiran is known for his action flicks that have ample sentimental and family values in it. Movies like 'Naan Mahaan Alla' and 'Pandiya Naadu' are perfect examples. However, his new movie with Vishal again in the lead, 'Paayum Puli' fails to keep the audience engaged and is an average film that doesn't surprise or entertain you.
|Release date: 4 September 2015||Genre: Action|
|Cast: Vishal, Kajal Aggarwal, Samuthirakani, Soori, Harish Uthaman, R.K, Aishwarya Dutta and many others||Director: Suseenthiran|
|Written: Suseenthiran||Music Director: D. Imman|
|Cinematography: Velraj||Editor: Anthony|
|Production Company: Vendhar Movies||Distributed by:Escape Artists Motion Pictures|
|Running time: 135 Minutes||CBFC Rating: 'U'|
|Budget: 250 million (US$3.8 million)||Language: Tamil|
- • A decent storyline about a police officer and his aim to get rid of menacing criminals in a city.
- • Authentic elements about Land mafia and the setup which looks believable.
- • It's not easy to get sentiment into an action movie but the director does it.
- • Cinematography is top notch despite many important scenes taking place in the night.
- • Very predictable scenes and hardly anything gripping.
- • BGM by Imman is similar to Suseenthiran's earlier movies. Below average songs except for 'Silukku Marame'.
- • Bad love portions and overacting by Soori in some scenes.
Similar to many other cop flicks, Vishal is on an undercover operation to clear the city of criminals who threaten big businessmen. When he's almost done with his job, it is unveiled that his own brother Samuthirakani is the leader of the group. Meanwhile, he's also romancing Kajal Agarwal whose father happens to be a businessman!The Cast
Vishal has done many movies in the same tone but because of a deep characterization, he was at his best in 'Pandiya Naadu' and 'Naan Sigappu Manithan'. But, there isn't much for him to do but he does look believable as a cop. Kajal Agarwal has the same old job of romancing the hero and dancing for songs. Samuthirakani has decent scope in the script but it is unclear whether he's a real villain or someone who's just confused. Overall, there's isn't scope to perform much for any of the characters in 'Paayum Puli'.The Team
Director Suseenthiran is known for his amazing movies and he has a strong portfolio. But, 'Paayum Puli' is not in his best cards because the movie has a thin plotline and is very familiar without anything interesting. Besides, cinematic liberties are too many and an ACP could romance a girl while doing encounters is possible only in Tamil movies (maybe, some Hindi films too!). Music by Imman is average with unwanted songs in all the wrong places. Cinematography is a notable accomplishment in the movie. Let's hope the director comes back with another great flick like 'Naan Mahan Alla' or a feel good entertainer like 'Jeeva'.
Bottom line – A bad mix of action and sentiment dilutes the movie's actual theme.
Certified Fresh – No!
Stars – 3.25/5