Thani Oruvan Movie Review
– A Brilliant Action Thriller with Posh Execution
Director Mohan Raja has made enough movies with his brother Jayam Ravi in the lead but his best was in pending for a long time because every one of them was a remake. Smashing all criticism against his rehashes, he has delivered an action packed thriller with 'Thani Oruvan' once again with his brother in the lead.
|Release date: 28 August 2015||Genre: Action, Romance, Thriller|
|Cast: Jayam Ravi, Arvind Swamy, Nayanthara Kurian, Vamsi Krishna, Ganesh Venkatraman, Nassar and many others||Director: Mohan Raja|
|Written: Mohan Raja||Music Director: Hiphop Tamizha|
|Cinematography: Ramji||Editor: Surya|
|Production Company: AGS Entertainment||Distributed by:Sun Pictures|
|Running time: 175 minutes||CBFC Rating: 'U'|
- • Neat acting by Jayam Ravi and Nayanthara who underplayed it well.
- • The ensemble cast including Ganesh Venkatraman among others from 'Thadayara Thakka'.
- • Arvind Samy whose potential and brilliance in playing a stylish villain.
- • Just two songs is a saving grace even though one could have been avoided.
- • Plenty of intelligent sequences with ample action combined with brainy ideas.
- • Annoying length at more than two hours thirty minutes.
- • Lengthy scenes that are often too predictable including the climax twist.
- • Logical loopholes like avoiding technology altogether (whatsapp, youtube).
The story is the tried and tested formula of a brilliant police officer going against a highly corrupt, intelligent villain. Arvind Samy is not just an expert at building his base to earn money but also a scientist himself. Jayam Ravi is sincere and tries his best to beat him but fails continuously until he finds the thing that has been deterring his success.The Cast
While Jayam Ravi gets the much deserved hit, it is Arvind Samy who steals the cake this time. Nayanthara is highly underplayed and it's good to see her act like a normal girl than the annoying Tamil heroines. The supporting cast is a huge plus for the movie but the director didn't utilize them strongly in the second half. Ravi's stern look fits the role while Arvind Samy manages to win over him over every time with his ease of acting.The Team
Director Mohan Raja has made plenty of back to back remakes but 'Thani Oruvan' is definitely a milestone in his career and in Kollywood. The movie is a perfect action thriller with enough brainy ideas. The only minor flaw that we could find is the predictable scenes which makes people lose interest at times and the logical loopholes.
After all, you could easily copy a video content on youtube or cloud storage to send it than die trying to hide the only copy on a SD card right? Besides, writing on papers and boards all the time without using a text messaging service is another annoyance. But, it's so good despite all these flaws that are often found in many Tamil films. Raja has proven his mettle while camera, music and editing is equally good.
Bottom line – Despite the few minor flaws, 'Thani Oruvan' is a must watch!
Certified Fresh – Yes!
Stars – 4/5